Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I don't think you're ready for this jelly...

A couple years ago we were over at one of our neighbor's for dinner and as an appetizer they served this delicious jalapeno jelly that they had made.  I couldn't stop eating it.  It was sweet and savory and a little spicy and I just kept spooning it on crackers with some cheese.  A couple days later, having not gotten it out of my head, I emailed them for the recipe.  It was almost as if they had been expecting and waiting for my inquiry.  Their response was something like, "Ah, yes, the jelly".  They knew of the power it had and now I was just another follower, forever connected to this magical treat.  (I've been watching a little too much LOST lately.)

Anyway, it seemed like there wasn't too specific of a recipe they were using.  Just kind of improvised each time and based it loosely on the recipe in the Ball canning book.  I had no choice but to give it a go as this was now my calling, my destiny, my fate.  (seriously, I'm watching like 3 episodes a night)

It was delicious.  I have made it several times since and it has always turned out great.  I eat way too much of this stuff. I mean way. too. much.   My favorite way to enjoy it is with bagel chips or pita chips and cream cheese.  I ate so much of it when I was pregnant with Harriet, I'm pretty sure she is  37% jalapeno jelly.  I was trying to confess to a friend how much I was actually eating and he said, "Well it's not like you are sitting down in front of the t.v. with a whole jar of jelly and a tub of cream cheese and just spooning it on to crackers."
"Oh my god!  No!"  I said,  laughing a little too nervously,  pretending to be horrified that someone would do that, and wondering where he put the hidden camera because that is exactly what I was doing.  And am still doing.

This jelly is also great on toast or empanadas, with any creamy cheese like goat or brie, or thinned out with a little cider vinegar and used as a salad dressing (I like greens, blue cheese, chicken, pistachios).  If you would like to make some of your own, the recipe that I use is below but feel free to improvise.  Or, just come over and take a jar off my hands.  Speaking of hands, I strongly recommend wearing rubber gloves when working with the roasted jalapenos.  If you don't, be sure to wash your hands very well after.  Don't rub your eyes and for god's sake don't change the baby's diaper!
Oh Harriet, will you ever forgive me?

Jalapeno Jelly
This recipe yields about 5 (8oz) half pints

12 jalapeno peppers (whole)
2 bell peppers (slice sides off in 4 big pieces)
1 large onion (sliced in thick rounds, about 4)
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups sugar (!)  (try not to think about it)
2 3 oz packages of liquid fruit pectin

Place all veggies on pan and place under the broiler until black and charred (about 5 minutes)
Remove from pan and place all peppers in a bowl and cover immediately with plastic wrap, let stand 10 minutes
Place onions into a blender with 1 cup vinegar
In a large pot on the stove, add the sugar and remaining 1 cup vinegar

Once peppers are cooled peel off the charred skins and discard them along with any seeds or stems from the jalapenos.  I keep a bowl of water nearby when I do this to help get the skin and seeds off of my hands.  Add the peeled peppers to the blender and puree all the veggies until smooth.  Do not strain puree.  Add puree to your pot and bring to a boil over high heat.  Boil for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
After 10 minutes, add all pectin.  Stir and return to a boil.  Boil hard for 1 minute.  Remove from heat.
Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.  (for more information on how to process or can, check out this link)
A friend of mine made this, put into jars and refrigerated it.  She said it should last about 3 weeks.
 It probably won't hang around that long.



ready to go into the broiler
 (I was doubling the recipe)



nice and charred. 
 I put the onions back in for a little longer.


                                         
one week supply.
just kidding.  sort of.


                                            
how I enjoy it.  
no need for a plate, really.



*

2 comments:

  1. OMG that looks so freaking good. I have the same type of addiction to red pepper relish from American Spoon and cream or goat cheese. I need to start making my own to cut down on the costs... and I am thinking about trying to make it using the no-sugar needed pectin and cutting back on the 6 cups a little (maybe to 4). Have you tried that kind of pectin? We need to talk about this sometime-- I feel like we are food soul sisters when I read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank god this is archived. i think i lost the back of the birthday card it was written on.

    ReplyDelete