Sunday, April 17, 2011

which came first?

I have never been much of a 'dark meat' kind of gal.  Get your minds out of the gutter, I am talking about chicken here.

Often, when we make chicken, I'll roast a whole one and I eat the white meat and Mike takes the dark.  Jack Sprat and wife if you will.  One day I thought, I bet the kids would love the drumsticks too.  They devoured them.  Of course they did.  They can hold it and eat it and it is warm and juicy and flavorful.  A rare, and much sought after, successfully eaten meal ensued.

Now I prepare the drumsticks only for the kids.  I have made this recipe twice to rave reviews.  It was so simple and fast and quite good.  The last time we had them she ate 3 and the whole time was saying over and over how delicious they were.  It was a little embarrassing how much praise she was throwing at me for these scrumptious drummies.

The other thing I realized with this meal is that Eloise knows where her food comes from.  I like that she knows that the chicken on her plate comes from an actual chicken, you know the animal that we see on farms.  She knows that pork is from pigs and that her milk does not come 'from the store' but from a cow.  She knows that vegetables grow from seeds that are planted in the ground.  I hope to instill in them a respect for the foods that we are so blessed to have.

As she was eating the drumsticks, between compliments and bites she said, "Mom, you know why I'm glad they kill the chicken before we eat it?"
"Why?"  I asked very reluctantly.
"Because if they didn't, the legs would be running all over our plates."

Totally normal statement.  Nothing weird about that at all.

I think that Harriet will be the same way about her knowledge of food origins.  At the dinner table, Eloise said to her, "Harriet, have another bite of chicken."  She responded with a little, "Bawk, bawk".



found this in the play kitchen after eloise told me she 
was making chicken for dinner


2 comments:

  1. Eloise's response about killing the chicken is so precious! I laughed and laughed... Of course, she may well be right!

    ReplyDelete