Tuesday, July 19, 2011

beans, beans the magical fruit

Eloise spent the last two nights at her aunt's house for what she was calling "Camp Vicki".  As she and her aunt were enjoying an endless amount of activity and fun, me and Harriet were home in a suddenly much quieter house.

I was able to spend time with Harriet in a different way.  For instance, I was actually able to look at her and hear her and talk to her.  She's totally cool!  We had no special plans and no where we needed
 to be---a rarity.  We just played.

Filed under "simple activities to entertain your toddler" is the good ol' Bowl of Beans.  I have a very old bag of kidney beans in the cupboard that the kids have played with on occasion.  Reminder***do not ever eat kidney beans served at my house.***   Bowl, beans, cups, scoops, spoons, good times.

Harriet had a ball doing a 'toddler only' activity.  She wasn't just along for the ride on this one, she was driving.   I enjoyed watching her play quietly and seeing her experiment and discover on her own.  I will admit that, about 36 times,  I had to fight the urge to get the broom and tidy up all the beans.  I am who I am.

I think everybody won here.  Eloise was thrilled to stay with her aunt "for two whole nights!!!".  Vicki was thrilled to have her niece all to herself.  I was thrilled to lighten my work load by 50%.  And despite the fact that Harriet walked around the house doing her sign for "where's Eloise?" and went up to knock on her bedroom door over and over again, she was thrilled to have all the attention and the chance to be an only child for a day or two.

just getting started


seeing if I am going to let her eat them.
I did.


she got the idea to stick them in between 
each of her toes.  
isn't that a form of torture in some countries?


"mom, can you sweep these up now please?"




No comments:

Post a Comment