Tuesday, August 2, 2011

plot of happiness

When you take a vacation (more on that later) in the middle of summer you are undoubtedly going to miss some things that go on in the garden back home.  Luckily, upon our return I was pleasantly surprised to find that I hadn't missed too many red tomatoes and to find that my little "plot of happiness" garden was in full bloom.

This year I decided, with Eloise's help, to plant a big ol' crop of zinnias in front of some of our tomatoes.  Zinnias are super easy to grow from seed and we planted about 4 rows of them way back in April.  They love tons of hot sun and attract much needed pollinators to the veggies.  Also, as much as I love to grow and eat tomatoes, they are not the most attractive plants to look at once August rolls around.  I now have a lovely screen of vibrant flowers shielding the tomatoes outside and vases of vibrant flowers covering most of the tabletops inside.

Viva la summer!

so much beautiful color!


my happy view from the kitchen window.


"cue the butterfly!"


No comments:

Post a Comment