Monday, May 31, 2010

Office


Today was a very rainy Memorial Day.  Mike had to work so we tried to entertain ourselves inside while Harriet took two very long naps (go Harriet!  go Weissbluth!).
When I was little I used to love to play pretend and my favorite thing to pretend to play was Office.  This is kind of ironic since I never fulfilled my childhood fantasy by actually ever working in an office.  When we were kids, we would visit my grandparents in Sioux City, Iowa.  They had a huge basement where my grandpa had a tricked out office complete with a typewriter, rulers, notepads, a big ol' phone, index cards, a giant wooden desk with a chair on wheels, a rolodex, and about a 100 sharpened pencils swiped from the bread company he worked for.  It was pretend office heaven.  I remember playing down there for hours with my cousins or siblings and only coming upstairs when called for lunch--most likely bologna and Frito sandwiches.

All of these memories were coming back to me today when Eloise and I decided to play Office.  She helped me set it up and had some cute ideas of what would be in an office.  Her favorite thing was putting REAL water in the coffee mug so she could pretend it was coffee. I was kind of proud that she insisted on "coffee" at her office.  At first I was so surprised by how into it she was, and then I remembered that basement in Iowa.  We played for hours this morning... and this afternoon.  I bet we'll play tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.  Looks like I'll finally be punching the clock at an office after all.


Hard at work


coffee


She also insisted on the pencil behind the ear


If you're going to draft a letter, why not go straight to the top?
and, yes, she is apparently living with Mary Poppins

No comments:

Post a Comment