Friday, July 9, 2010

raspberries

Last spring we planted two little raspberry bushes that we picked up at Home Depot.  We have a partly sunny spot in the back of our yard along the fence where the soil is kind of crappy but there is plenty of room.  I think my husband's dream is to eventually have the entire area filled with raspberry brambles so thick that we need a wield a sword to get out to the garage (picture the prince coming to the castle after 100 years in Sleeping Beauty).

I have to admit, I never really thought they would take off.  I was under the impression that growing any kind of fruit was really difficult.  Not the case at all.  We planted those two teeny shrubs, covered with a little compost and water and that was about it.  They did amazingly well considering the lack of attention they were given.  Last year we got a handful of berries but this season they have come back with gusto.  The plants send out shooters and fill in all the space in between with new bushes.  This season we have had quite a few berries with a delicious sweet and tart flavor.  Pretty soon we'll be all brambled up.

Our crop has not been so plentiful just yet that we could bake a pie or cobbler.  We mostly go out in the morning, pick what has ripened and throw them on our breakfast which, for me, is the same every single morning:
Stonyfield Plain lowfat yogurt (the best flavor in my opinion, and believe me I have tried them all)
Kashi GoLean cereal
a few crumbled walnuts
and whatever fruit is in season and in our house (or garden at the time)

There is something so fun and decadent about picking your own food and eating right then.  I would definitely recommend trying to plant some raspberries next year if you have a spot.  You won't be disappointed.

fresh picked


the bushes


And speaking of Raspberries...Harriet is enjoying making a few of her own these days...

 "thbbpthbpt!"


No comments:

Post a Comment