Sunday, May 22, 2011

still crazy after all these years

I don't know when my love for Paul started.  It just seems like he's always been my #1.  I'm sure my parents played him around our house, my dad loved his music and still does.  When Graceland came out in 1986 (!!!) and the boy I had a crush on in 8th grade read the lyrics to the title track in front of the whole class for poetry day, I was in for life.  It all comes back to love doesn't it?

As much as I love Paul Simon and his songwriting and his music I had never been lucky enough to see him live.

I found out that he was coming to Chicago but it was too late and the show was already sold out.  I was still holding out hope for some kind of StubHub situation and proceeded to drop 10,000 hints that tickets would make an excellent Mother's Day present and would make all my dreams come true.  No luck.

I put the idea out of my head until Mike called me at 5:45 pm on Tuesday and said he was at the Chicago Theater.   He was able to get tickets and could I find a sitter and get downtown by 7:30.

My mother-in-law rushed over to stay with the girls, I put Harriet to bed, explained all the excitement to Eloise, and tried to devote 3 minutes to some makeup and a hairbrush.  Eloise stood watching me in the bathroom as I hurried to get ready.  She said, "Mom, I just feel so much happiness for you right now."  So sweet.

The seats were amazing.  Tenth row in the beautiful Chicago Theater.  He was just right there in front of us in all his unassuming glory.  I cried.  The songs just kept on coming.   I couldn't tell if he was singing all of my favorite songs or if all of his songs are my favorite.

The show was incredible.  Dare I say...magical.  I will never forget it.
I feel incredibly lucky.

giant nerd poses with the marquee.
and I do mean giant!  why am I as tall as 
said marquee?


waiting for the show to start.
can you feel the excitement?


xoxoxo

1 comment: