Wednesday, June 9, 2010

crushing



I think I have a crush on Mr. Singer.  Who?  You might ask.  Mr. Singer, of Mr. Singer and the Sharp Cookies, a local children's band that plays in and around Chicago.  Totally normal, right?                      

I realized that I (and the kids, of course) have gone to see him (and his band, of course) probably about 6 or 7 times in the recent past.  I find myself checking tour dates on their website late at night and buying tickets way in advance for upcoming concerts.  Sometimes rearranging our schedule so we can catch a show.

This is a weird new phenomenon.  It is a far cry from the days when I was following the Grateful Dead or Dave Matthews Band doing all sorts of illegal things.  Nowadays I'm squeezing into tiny venues with the toddler/mommy/nanny set and dozens of oversized strollers trying to score some goldfish crackers or maybe a chair so I can nurse the baby.
I don't get it either, but there it is.

Mr. Singer is awesome.  You might not think so at first glance.  The overalls with loud and wild print shirts, his handlebar mustache and goatee,  his spiky hair and gap between his 2 front teeth...
Whatever. Trust me. It works.  I'm pretty sure he winked at me in the audience today.

He usually plays with his band, which I found out today includes his wife :(  Their songs are catchy, funny, and cute and they really seem to love playing for kids.  This morning we saw them at Lincoln Park Zoo in the Farm.  They play there every Wednesday and  it was a great time as usual.  He mentioned they would be playing this weekend at Midsommarfest in Andersonville so you know where I'll be, with the kids of course.  It's all for the kids.  On second thought, maybe I can find a sitter.

great day at the zoo


Mr. Singer.  
Not a great picture because all of the damn kids in the way



loving the concert


wouldn't be a trip to the zoo without a $19 cup of ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment