Saturday, June 19, 2010

retail therapy

Every year I say I will never do a yard sale again and every year I find myself pulling stuff out of the basement and putting it out on my lawn.  I am still not sure how I accumulate enough stuff in ONE YEAR to justify having a sale but there it is.  Today was the day for the sale of 2010.

I think it must be my retail days that I am longing for.  I think that is what gets me pumped up to do the sale every year.  I kind of pretend I am setting up for the Nordstrom Half Yearly Sale or something.  I work for weeks to get everything cleaned out of the garage, basement, and all the closets.  I have special staging areas around the house so I can get everything prepped, priced and marked  as much as possible ahead of time.  The morning of the sale I am up at dawn and hauling all the stuff out to the front lawn and setting it up in "departments".  Yes, I know I am the only person having a yard sale with "departments".  Once all the stuff is set  I am out there trying to merchandise it and making sure I have all the correct signage with proper prices that are easy to read.  I am practically doing a planogram for product placement and figuring out what we can put on the endcap that has the highest profit margin. The funny thing is that no matter how hard I try every year it still just looks like a yard full of crap.
 I know I sound like a lunatic and I have to now admit the truth...I love having yard sales!

It is not about the money.  Some years we do awesome, others are just okay.  It is just a really fun summer day.  This year we did it with three other families that brought all their junk over and we had a great time.  I actually think we ended up mostly exchanging goods between the four of us.  Not sure why the onesie that you are selling looks better to me than the 50 that I am trying to get rid of, but somehow it does, and it ends up in my pile.  
We sat outside all day, laughed at ourselves and at the people at our sale, ate great food, and just hung out.  The kids played in the back yard and the babies played on the blanket.
I am exhausted and sunburned and I can barely walk but it was all worth it.  See you next year with more junk.  I mean, treasures.

early morning customers

the team

"how much for the duckie?"

No comments:

Post a Comment