Saturday, June 5, 2010

these pancakes saved my marriage

I love breakfast food.  Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite treats.  Eggs I can do.  Bacon is not a problem.  But pancakes?  I'll be damned, I could not make a decent pancake.  I even knew they were terrible but I kept making them and trying new things each time.  Don't stir the batter too much. How about whole wheat flour? Maybe butter instead of oil.  One morning as we were all eating our pieces of sawdusty cardboard I knew I had to admit that the pancake had beaten me and I would no longer be willing to fight.
I said to Mike, "god, these are terrible!  I cannot make a pancake to save my life."
He had never once said they were bad.  He just quietly added extra butter and syrup and maybe grabbed another glass of milk to help choke them down.  On this day though, he sensed my defeat and said tentatively, "Hon, you make so many things so well.  Maybe pancakes just aren't your thing."
Sweet, I know, but I was reinvigorated.  I would not give in.

One day I was lamenting about this to my friend, The Baker.  She told me she had nearly the same experience with this troublesome carbohydrate but she had found THE PERFECT recipe!  What?!

A little background on The Baker...  She went to culinary school, married a chef, had three kids, started a blog, opened a bakery business making the most delicious cakes you'll ever taste.  She is a hilarious, generous and creative person and I am so glad we are friends.  Most of all because now I have her pancake recipe!!

The first time I made these they came out perfectly.  Every time after that, even better.  They always get all gobbled up and everyone spends the day in a sleepy dream-like state.  Now, my husband is happier then ever and finally has a wife that can do everything perfectly.  :)


yummy goodness at 7am



I have to do the obligatory "tiny stack" a la Grandpa Nichols


gets her every time


the. end.

No comments:

Post a Comment