Friday, June 4, 2010

last firsts

This week was full of 'firsts' for Harriet.  This time around, the milestones definitely seem different.  I think it is because in the back of my mind I'm realizing that these firsts are the last firsts. We know we won't be having any more children.  It is so hard to hang on to all the little moments, I mean you just can't,  but you try to capture them and you try to appreciate them in between all the other stuff you are doing in your day.

I barely remember any of Eloise's firsts.  In fact, I really only remember what outfit she was wearing at any given time.  I definitely got Mother's Amnesia from the 1st to the 2nd child.  I think we all get Amnesia which is how and why we go back for more.  Once I was back in the thick of things, it all came rushing back to me---the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Oh...that's right...that's what the day after labor feels like.  Oh yeah, that's what vice grips on my nipple feel like.  That's how you buckle that damn car seat 5 times a day.  That's what my face looks like after 4 hours of sleep.  Oh...and that's the pure joy of hearing a baby giggle for the first time.  That's what it's like to always be the most important person in the room to another person.  And, that is how ridiculously excited you get when this little being rolls over for the first time and has their first little taste of food.
It's all coming back to me.

going...

going...


gone!


That's how you roll over, motha fuckas.


and, a little bite to eat

1 comment:

  1. This is great. As a very new mom going through the firsts for the first time I can totally appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete